Microshift is a research project that is exploring how OpenShift1 Kubernetes can be optimized for small form factor and edge computing.
Edge devices deployed out in the field pose very different operational, environmental, and business challenges from those of cloud computing. These motivate different engineering trade-offs for Kubernetes at the far edge than for cloud or near-edge scenarios. Microshift's design goals cater to this:
- make frugal use of system resources (CPU, memory, network, storage, etc.),
- tolerate severe networking constraints,
- update (resp. roll back) securely, safely, speedily, and seamlessly (without disrupting workloads), and
- build on and integrate cleanly with edge-optimized OSes like Fedora IoT and RHEL for Edge, while
- providing a consistent development and management experience with standard OpenShift.
We believe these properties should also make Microshift a great tool for other use cases such as Kubernetes applications development on resource-constrained systems, scale testing, and provisioning of lightweight Kubernetes control planes.
Note: Microshift is still early days and moving fast. Features are missing. Things break. But you can still help shape it, too.
1) more precisely OKD, the Kubernetes distribution by the OpenShift community
Install instructions can be found here: https://github.com/redhat-et/microshift#minimum-specs
Please submit any issues here: https://github.com/redhat-et/microshift/issues
The following unofficial repositories are provided as-is by owner of this project. Contact the owner directly for bugs or issues (IE: not bugzilla).
|Centos-stream 8||aarch64 (0)*, x86_64 (0)*||Centos-stream 8 (12 downloads)|
|Centos-stream 9||aarch64 (0)*, x86_64 (0)*||Centos-stream 9 (9 downloads)|
|Epel for CentOS 7||x86_64 (0)*||Epel for CentOS 7 (11 downloads)|
|Epel for CentOS 8||aarch64 (0)*, x86_64 (0)*||Epel for CentOS 8 (8 downloads)|
|Fedora 34||aarch64 (0)*, x86_64 (0)*||Fedora 34 (8 downloads)|
|Fedora 35||aarch64 (0)*, x86_64 (0)*||Fedora 35 (11 downloads)|
|Fedora rawhide||aarch64 (0)*, x86_64 (0)*||Fedora rawhide (9 downloads)|
* Total number of packages downloaded in the last seven days.