What does it do (2019 update) ?
Global menu is an often required feature that is availble in XFCE4 thanks to the work of Konstantin, developer of vala-panel (which includes a global menu for XFCE4 as well as mate-panel). So kudos to:
What works (and doesn't)?
- It works with GTK2, GTK3, QT5, wxGTK and Electron apps. It should work with QT4 also (not tested)
- It doesn't work with: Firefox and Thunderbird or any application opened as root.
- Libreoffice currently has a bug that makes it show the menu twice
Screenshot or it didn't happen
1) install the custom repository, update
# dnf copr enable jcornuz/xfce-global-menu
# dnf update
2) install the global menu plugin
# dnf install xfce4-vala-panel-appmenu-plugin
make sure the appropriate GTK module is loaded by adding the following to your ~/.bashrc and / or ~./bash_profile
logout / login. You should be able to add a new plugin to your panel: appmenu plugin
If all goes well, you now have a working global menu. However, GTK2 applications will show 2 menus (window + panel plugin). We need to add a version of GTK2 that includes an Ubuntu / Debian patch to solve this problem.
3) install the patched GTK2 version:
note: this package is a rip-off from Fedora's standard GTK2 package, with an extra 12 lines patch from Ubuntu / Debian - chances of it breaking havoc to your system are minimal. See patche's details
# dnf --disablerepo=fedora --enablerepo=copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:jcornuz:xfce-global-menu reinstall gtk2
logout / login and voilà :)
4) Windowck plugin
It can also be handy to have windows buttons on the top panel. Even if windowck-plugin is abandonned upstream, there is a version that works here which you can install with:
# dnf install xfce4-windowck-plugin
The following unofficial repositories are provided as-is by owner of this project. Contact the owner directly for bugs or issues (IE: not bugzilla).
|Fedora rawhide||i386 (141)*, x86_64 (513)*||Fedora rawhide (342 downloads)|
* Total number of packages downloaded in the last seven days.